Manor CC logo

 

A Brief History of Manor Country Club

(with excerpts taken from the book, Manor Country Club —A History written by, Peggy Barnhill and Ann Coleman © 1998)


Manor Country Club is a lovely community located in Rockville, Maryland that was built around a golf course with the Country Club located at its center, as the heart of the community. The history of Manor, however, goes back much further than the present day clubhouse, pictured above.

The idea of a “Manor Club” at this location originated in the early 1920’s, when residents of the District of Columbia began using the wooded land in this
area as a country escape from city life, during the summers. There were only dirt roads at this time leading out from the District of Columbia, approximately 16 miles away. But the area now called Manor Country Club was originally part of a large land grant of 4,892 acres, made in 1718 to a Major John Bradford — a wealthy storekeeper who lived in Charlestown, along the Patuxent Front entranceRiver. This tract of land became known as “Bradford's Rest” and was subsequently divided and sold many times. In 1849, one of these subdivisions of 925 acres, was sold to Charles Abert and his wife, Constancia (Bache) Abert. Charles Abert was a distinguished lawyer in both Maryland and the District, and his wife was the granddaughter of Benjamin Franklin’s only daughter, Sarah. In the late 1850’s the Aberts constructed a grand Manor house from stone quarried on the property. This mansion eventually became the first Manor clubhouse. The founders of the club recognized the property to be a site that offered beautiful views of nearby Sugarloaf mountain, and sufficient acreage for a 27-hole golf course, tennis courts, a swimming pool, as well as horse stables and riding facilities. This original acreage was eventually bought by the Foreston Manor Club, a newly incorporated club in the District of Columbia, whose members saw this “Homewood” property (as they referred to it), as an ideal place for development, along with the surrounding land. The club members invited others to join them from the 16th Street Highlands Group, also of the District, to help with the financing of their endeavour. Eventually this endeavour included the subdivision of the surrounding land into residentail property lots to promote club memberships and sales to purchasers. The land surrounding the club was then divided into lots that members could build community weekend cottages on. The lot owners would also retain lifetime rights as members of the new Manor Club, with the purchase of their lots. Many of the original homes built upon these lots were designed by the architect Charles Zeller, who became a member of the Foreston Manor Club (after the incorporation of the 16th Street Highlands Group of which he was also a member). Zeller based his architectural plans for several of the homes in Manor on plans that he brought home with him from the Cotswold country of England, where he was stationed during World War 1. These homes became the original homes of the community that is known today as Manor Country Club. Side lawn and patioSadly, in 1952, the original Manor home built by the Aberts at the center of the community was destroyed by a fire, and could not be saved. The construction of a new, more modern club was then built in 1954. This clubhouse was in place until 1997-’98, when a third clubhouse was designed to replace that one, as part of a large-scale renovation and update of all of the modern-day club and its facilities. This clubhouse is the one in use today, pictured in the photographs on this page - (see above and below for more).


Today, Manor Country Club offers a beautifully renovated clubhouse with two, elegant upstairs dining rooms, a bar area that also serves food, a beautiful ballroom, and an outdoor balcony dining space, as well as a lower patio which is connected by stairs, both of which overlook the extensive golf course, and are used during the summer months for dining as well as parties. Inside, on the lower level, there is also a mixed grill with a bar and several flat screen TVs, as well as exercise rooms for both men and women. Manor offers a full menu of activities with swimming, golf, and tennis, including an indoor tennis bubble during the winter months, as well as year-round social events for the many families and their children. It is a community whose beauty has been preserved and cared for over the years, and one in which many enjoy living, due to its charming architecture and variety of home styles.

 



4th of July at Manor

 

Manor front lawnFlowers on hillside

Large oak tree and adirondacks Manor patio

Golf course flagpoleGolf course green

Manor pavilionManor bulletin board

Trees by poolManor pool

Manor tennis pro housePool view with daisies

Golf cartsTennis courts

Tennis courtsTennis players

Tennis court walkwayManor - tennis bubble

Manor lawnGolf course trees and foliage

 

Manor in Winter:



 

back to top

return to Properties page